According to Bluetooth.com , Bluetooth is a wireless protocol utilizing short-range (typically up to 10 meters of range between devices) communications technology. It can facilitate both voice and data transmission over short distances from fixed and/ or mobile devices. When two or more Bluetooth devices are connected together, they form a dynamically created network that comprises a master device and up to seven slaves; hence, creating personal area networks (PAN) called as Piconet.
Bluetooth radio technology uses 2.4 GHz Industrial, Scientific, and Medical (ISM) frequency band. This frequency band is unlicensed and anyone may use the frequency for free.
Bluetooth characteristics are as follows:
- Provide wireless connection
- Uses ISM band which has been standardized throughout the world
- Handles transmission of data
- Uses omni-directional signals that can pass through walls
- Uses frequency hoping to avoid communication interception
- Low power consumption
 Bluetooth.com: The Official Bluetooth® Technology Info Site. http://www.bluetooth.com. Tuesday, 28 May 2008.